Friday, May 27, 2011

Do, Re, Meme!

I've been tagged in a Meme, something which has not happened before, by the ever entergetic and vivacious Celeste Behe of A Perpetual Jubilee  A meme is a sort of blogging chain letter. Celeste asks me to list 3 favorite scripture verses, along, I gather, with short explanations of why I like them. It will be hard to limit myself to only 3. To avoid an agonizing  process of elimination to come up with the top 3--sort of an American Idol for Bible verses--I think I'll just do my favorite 3 from this week's Divine Office. That will narrow down the field, and I won't have to think so hard. Here goes:

1. Psalm 119 vs14 "I rejoice to do your will as though all riches were mine." This beautiful verse expresses a total and joyous embrace of whatever God sends us. I'm certainly not there yet, and every time I see this verse (in Daytime prayer of the psalter, week 1) I am reminded of an ideal to which we are all called.

2.Psalm 63: vs 2 "O God, You are my God, for You I long; for you my soul is thirsting."  Again, I can only wish to achieve a state where I am constantly longing for God and ever doing my part to make that union a reality. But when I do experience that sense of incompleteness and exile, this is the verse, in fact, 63 is the psalm, that springs to my mind.I look forward to praying this psalm in the liturgy every time Sunday morning, week I rolls around.

3.Revelation 21: 5  'Behold, I make all things new.'  A perfect thought for this Easter season. Full of hope and, well, newness, freshness, and a joyous relief that all the bad things that have ever happened to me, to those I love, to the whole world, will one day pass away.  I think that Mel Gibson will earn some time off from purgatory not only for making The Passion of the Christ, but in particular for putting these words on the lips of Jesus when he meets his mother on the via dolorosa. That startling contrast of what seems like profound defeat paired with words of renewal and victory--there's so much material for meditation in just that one scene. This verse  was in the Office of Readings earlier this week, since the Easter season gives us selections from Revelation almost every day.


Okay, that part of the meme is done. Next, I have to tag 3 more people, who have to:
1. do the meme
2. link to my blog when they explain to their readers what's going on, and
3. tag 3 other bloggers with a link to your blog.

Here's my 3 people:
Susie Lloyd of Susie Lloyd Unedited
Melanie Betinelli of Wine Dark Sea
John Janaro of Never Give Up

And if anyone else want to do this, either in comments or on their own blog, feel free. I don't think this meme business is some sort of exclusive club.