Friday, October 19, 2012

Year of Faith--what are you doing about it?


The purpose of the Year of Faith is for us to better understand and grow in our, um, obviously, faith.

There are many ways to do that. My two favorites:

1. Sign up with Flocknote to read the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church in oe year.  They make this painless by emailing you the daily passage, and so far, (day seven) it looks like these are pretty short. Around ten paragraphs per day. Many of us prefer to read from the book rather than off the screen, so we just look at the numbers that Flocknote assigns, and read them comfortably from our hard copy of the CCC.

2. For anyone who does not already do the Office of Readings as part of their daily Liturgy of the Hours, I'd urge you to observe the year of faith by just reading the second reading each day. Use the free ibreviary program --the ibreviary widget on the right can be formatted for Kindle. They also have an app for phones and tablets. This second reading alone will give you the magnificent panorama of the Catholic faith as believed from the earliest centuries. The continuity will amaze you.

3.Read The Documents of Vatican II. The Year of Faith commemorates the anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council. Clear your mind of whatever popular chatter tells us was the result of "Vatican II" , and find out what this council actually taught. You may be surprised. Here's the link to get them on Kindle.

8 comments:

  1. Oops! We all got sick and am already four days behind on the Read the Catechism emails. I was afraid something like that would happen, but didn't expect it so soon. I hope I can get back on target.

    Also, can I plug me blog series? I'd love to invite your readers to come on by and get a weekly dose of the Creed every Thursday. We're going through the Creed phrase by phrase. Read what some of my favorite bloggers have to say and then join in and share your own thoughts.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily that Catechism program has such short daily selections that it's not hard to catch up.

      I'll plus your series next week. Sounds like a great idea.

      Delete
    2. And, P.S. where did you find that lovely Knight in mail with the Credo banner? I love him!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Daria.

      I love him too. I was almost jumping up and down when Dom found the picture for me. It's actually a small bronze of Richard the Lionheart, from the webpage of an art and antiques auction site. I almost hated to crop it because the whole piece is just lovely.

      Delete
  2. Hi Daria! My blog was hacked (living without school) so I only just not found your comment about my praying the breviary post! I would love you to share it!

    And the Year of Fairh? I am taking out my copy of Patrick Madrid's Year With the Bible and putting it on the dining table for us all to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....now I don't remember what you post was about or how to get to it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Daria, thanks for this entry as I'm doing Flocknote. What a wonderful resource. I am planning to visit my baptismal church and maybe celebrate with Mass. So happy this has been declared a Year of Faith. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pilgrimage to the church of one's baptism is a great idea. In our mobile society, most of us don't live in the parish of our childhood. Assuming it does't take a cross country flight, this could be a meaningful experience for lots of us.

      Delete