Friday, September 19, 2014

Spreading the Good News of the Liturgy of the Hours

Reader Ed Rio has a question:

"What advice/tips would you give someone to help spread awareness of the Liturgy of the Hours? This is one of the great hidden treasures of the Church that I'd like to get more people to know about. 
Sometimes I'll post a photo on Facebook of a deer with the "longing for running streams" quote and say where it's from. Or maybe there will be a reading/hymn from Morning/Evening Prayer that really stands out and I'll share that. I've run out of ideas. "

I shared a few of my thought with Ed, but thought this might be a good question for all of you. You all love praying the psalms and canticles with their antiphons etc., in harmony with the feasts and seasons of the Church year. How do you get other people interested, or heck, even aware that this is actually a thing that lay people can do? This could be thru social media (as Ed has tried) or one on one with friends, co-workers,  fellow parishioners, or even family members.  

Let's come up with a good list. I'll start. If good ones turn up in the comment boxes below, I'll try to past them in here. 

1. Leave a breviary lying on your desk at work so that it will invite  questions.