Monday, February 1, 2016

Read My Lips! How "Vocal" must our Office Be?

The question comes up from time to time about whether we are required to pray the Liturgy of the Hours out loud at least to the extent of whipering or  moving our lips.

This post on Fr. Z's blog, and the comments that follow, discusses just that.

My personal feeling (which has absolutely no authority  behind it) is that one can remain silent so long as one is "saying" the words inside one's head.  This is something I don't do when reading a novel (I'm not a super speed reader but do have a pretty rapid recreational reading speed), but  make the conscious effort to do when reading the LOTH. That is, I can "hear" each word in my mind. I believe this is the practice that Fr. Z. is defending, and finds a hint of support for in the General Instruction.

But it looks like longstanding tradition (by  which I do NOT mean magisterial, sacred Tradition) is against us.

Thank you to Henry Edwards for alerting me to Fr. Z's  post.