Monday, September 5, 2016

Sharing Our Burdens at Vespers

In the General Instruction on the Liturgy of the Hours, the section discussing the Intercessions says that it is appropriate to add personal  petitions, especially during evening prayer. It is suggested that we add these just before the final intercession which is usually about praying for the souls of the dead.  

Don't worry about composing a fancy, two part intercession that matches the language of the ones in the breviary. I'm sure that something simple such as "For Mary to recover from her surgery" or "for the conversion of John", or "for relief from depression for George" or "For all the people on Facebook who have requested prayers--I forgot the specifics but You know them all, Lord" are all perfectly good extra intercessions to add to the more formal ones.

Also, when you pray any part of any of the hours, sometimes a particular line of a psalm will remind you of someone you know and their needs. "My soul is filled with evils" or "Rescue me, Lord,from my foes"  might remind you of a friend who is having a rough time.  That mental association is in itself a prayer for that person, since you are joining him or her to a psalm that the church prays on behalf of its suffering members.

This gave me an idea. The column on the right indicates that 293 people have signed up to follow this blog through the google/blogger  platform. There are others who subscribe through email or feedly or some other method.  Most of us are not personally acquainted, but our love for the Liturgy of the Hours is a bit of a bond among us. So I was thinking of trying a post where any of you could post prayer intentions,and the rest of us could try to remember to include those either in our personal intercessions at evening prayer, or by making a general intention to remember these needs at one of the other hours that we pray.

So...if you have any prayer intentions that you wish to share with our little community, put them in the comments below. I'll run this a couple of times, and if it appears to catch on, I'll make it a regular thing.


13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea Daria!

    Please pray for a person who has asked my prayer and is suffering mental trauma from childhood abuse and has had years of psychotherapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Daria! I would so welcome prayers from those who can help me become the person my daugher and my God wants me to be. I face daily struggles against temptations that block my path to God rather than help me forge it. I pray daily to continue my walk towards Him and all that is good. Thank you and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add my own intention--my son is starting a small business and so far hasn't had much luck attracting customers. Please pray that he'll overcome this obstacle and be able to use his talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Pope Francis, for his espiritual needs, his health, and ministry, and for those who assist him in The Roman Curia..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norman, that is, of course, a great intention, but fortunately the intercessions already him regularly.And curia folks get a mention when there are intercessions for priests and bishops. What I'm hoping for here are more personal intentions for those of us in this community.

      Delete
  5. For my husband as he negotiates a betterliving wage with his employer today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my children and grandchildren who have strayed from the faith, that God will lead them back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For my wife, who is having surgery next week: For her doctors, and that she may have a speedy recovery.

    For my cousin, who was in a severe accident this past weekend, for his healing, and for comfort to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my mother-in-love, Marietta, who went on hospice Saturday and is quickly declining; for the comfort and consolation of all our family, who hate to see her go; for 40 Days for Life and Rachel's Vineyard in our community. Thank you all for praying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant and would so appreciate prayers that I may have a safe and healthy labor and birth; that my daughter may be safe, holy, healthy, and happy; and that she may lead a long life utterly devoted to God's Will.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reconciliation w/my estranged daughters. Heal their emotional wounds and pray they come back to the Sacraments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reconciliation w/my estranged daughters. Heal their emotional wounds and pray they come back to the Sacraments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For my son, that he may find a job and success in all his undertakings...

    ReplyDelete