Monday, October 31, 2011

Solemn Reminders...






1. The Solemnity of All Saints starts tonight. 

You already know this. I already know this. But what we forget in the midst of our all saints parties and/or trick-or-treating is to say Evening Prayer I for All Saints Day. I don't know about the rest of you, but I forget to say Evening Prayer I of solemnities all the time. Then slap myself the next morning when I realize what day it is/was.

2. All Souls Day. Here's your chance to use the Office of the Dead. By the way, since I've been asked several times, the Office of the Dead is a votive (used at will) office that you may use anytime you wish (except on a Sunday, solemnity, or obligatory feast) to mark the occasion or anniversary of a loved one's death. Or, say, once a month for souls in purgatory. It's up to you.

3. The Readings from 1st Maccabees in the Office of Readings will be missed for two days due to the above mentioned holy days. But it is a good and commendable practice to do these readings in addition to the Office of readings for the two feasts. I certainly am. This is one of the most exciting parts of the entire Bible. One can see why Mel Gibson (pray for that man) is planning to make a feature film on Maccabees. It has plenty of cloak and dagger action, blood, gore, martyrdom, fugitives living in the mountains, and finally, epic battles. I can't say I'd even want to watch an accurate portaryal of Maccabees, (too gory for me to enjoy), but it makes gripping reading. So, consider fitting these in (without their accompanying psalter or second readings) so that you don't lose the thread of the action, which is running until Saturday.