Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weekly Q&A , Tardy Edition

Eeek! Here it is the end of Wednesday and I forgot to do the weekly Q&A.

Welcome, new follower Ron. Good to have one more psalmsayer sharing a love for the Liturgy of the Hours. If any of you like  nature photography and Colorado scenery, you might want to check out Ron's blog.

Right now I'm in the thick of getting permissions from ICEL, Liberatrice Vaticane, the USCCB, and GIA for all the bits of the breviary and of church documents that I'm quoting in The Everyday Catholic's Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours. This is the un-fun part of writing a book. So, not too much mental energy left to write clever blog posts. However, I was struck by the odd conjunction of two words in the (new translation) concluding prayer for St. John Chrysostom last week.

The prayer referred to the saint's:  Invincible......patience.

One tends to think of "invincible" as a word associated with the strength and action of a warrior. It means, more or less, "unconquerable".   Whereas patience is a virtue that strikes us as somehow passive. The old translation calls it "patient endurance", which reinforces the passive aspect, compared to that wonderfully aggressive word, "invincible." Anyway, this has given me one more insight about spiritual warfare.

If you have any questions related to the Divine Office, the comboxes are waiting for you.




10 comments:

  1. Daria, thank you for the mention. I enjoy your blog and as a Camaldolese oblate in formation, find it very helpful in learning about the divine office. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm wondering is the Camaldolese are offshoots of the Benedictines, since they are the only other order I know of that has oblates.

      Delete
    2. Daria

      There are two branches of the Camaldolese order, the one I'm affiliated with is semi-eremitical and Benedictine. They are semi-eremitical because they live in community and also have some who are hermits. That, I think is the main distinguishing characteristic.

      Delete
  2. Daria,

    Is the concluding prayer the same for all offices on a given day? I thought that the concluding prayers for Daytime Prayers were different from all the others. (I understand the Night Prayers have their own concluding prayers.) Thanks,

    Michael Demers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of those "it depends" questions. During ordinary time the prayer after the OOR is the same as the opening prayer or Collect at the mass of the day. During the litugical seasons, OOR, MP and EP all use the mass collect. (although we are stuck with the old translation unless we use an online breviary). You are correct about daytime prayers being special to each of the daytime hours. However,on solemnities and feasts you use the prayer of the feast for OOR, MP, EP and Daytime Hours. Also, I think, on memorials. With optional memorials, you may use either the regular prayers in the psalter OR the saint's prayer.
      I might have left something out here but I'm pretty sure that covers it.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Daria, I had no idea. I didn't know. Thanks for enlightening me. I still have lots to learn. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning on doing some long-distance backpacking in 2013, actually the Appalachian Trail, and will be carrying everything on my back. So, I am looking for the lightest weight version of the LOTH, because every ounce counts, when you have to carry it! (Some backpackers cut the corners off their maps, and drill holes in their toothbrushes, to eliminate extra kilograms!) Also, electronics are out, as I will likely have neither cell service, internet access, or extra batteries, most of the time. Do you have any advice on a lightweight, tiny, non-bulky form of the breviary?
    Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your best bet is "Shorter Christian Prayer" by Catholic Book Publising company. It's basically the 4-week psalter for morning and evening, plus I believe it has night prayer as well. If you are hiking the trail during the summer,this should work out well for you, since that is all you need for ordinary time.Shorter Christian Prayer also has solemnities and partial propers for advent lent and easter. It's only half an inch thick and measures about 4x6 inches.That should lighten your load.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will take a look!

      Delete