Wednesday, June 25, 2014

St. Josemaria, Sacred Heart+Q&A

I've said it before, but summer tricks me every year, promising more time to relax and/or work on interesting projects, but in reality making both of those things more difficult: my disabled son is out of school, requiring more supervision from me, plus the increase in yard and garden work, however pleasant in some ways, sucks up all that time that I'd imagined would be devoted to writing, trying out new hobbies, or whatever it was I'd imagined would happen during the summer. Not that I'm complaining. I love summer. But it does throw me off. Hence, not a lot of blog post these days.

Welcome new reader Stephanie Reese! Jump in with a comment or question any time you want.

I just learned that one Coffee&Canticles fan has a Divine Office group going on Reddit. I was so please to lean this--the more sites and blogs and chat groups devoted tot he Liturgy of the Hours, the better. I had thought that--aside from actual online breviaries, Coffee&Canticles was the only show in town, and am thrilled to learn that this is not so.

Anyway, I learned from the Divine Office Reddit blog that tomorrow is the memorial of St. Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, and that the moderator has assembled the propers and readings for this memorial. But whether you use the weekday tomorrow OR go with what he has found, it's important to keep in mind that Friday is the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,--a solemnity--so you will want to go with Evening Prayer I for this feast on Thursday evening.
Caring for visiting grandchildren yesterday made it impossible for me to attend mass for the solemnity of the birth of St. John the Baptist. That reminded me of what a great gift we have in the Liturgy of the Hours. No matter what our circumstances, we could join the universal Church in celebrating this holy day. This one handy book gives us psalms, scripture readings, key gospel and other bible verses relevant to the Baptist.  I mean, if I had said to myself "I'd like to do a bible study on St. John the Baptist", I couldn't have found a better, ready made program than the Office of Readings, plus morning and evening prayer for June 24th. What's more, while I did that "bible study" I was also offering prayer and praise to God with the rest of the Church.  

What  deal!

Okay, if you have any questions or comments, fire away.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart and Evening Prayer I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daria,

    Thanks for the pointers to our little reddit community.

    Here's the direct link to the English language propers for St. Josemaría:

    * http://www.reddit.com/r/divineoffice/comments/28wcwi/26_june_st_josemar%C3%ADa_escriv%C3%A1_de_balaguer_priest/

    ---

    reddit is an odd platform, being that it has millions of users with WIDELY varying interests, but if you scrape away the cruft and know where to look (and where to avoid looking) you can find a lot of good.

    reddit is mainly there to share and discuss links, but there is some original content too in the mix, so it's not your typical 'blog' per se. All links and posts have the ability to comment about them on site. The community votes on the quality of submissions (both posts and comments) with up and down votes.

    /r/divineoffice is the main Liturgy of the Hours group (really all structured Christian prayer discussion and links are OK, Catholic or non-Catholic, reformed or traditional):

    * http://www.reddit.com/r/divineoffice/

    We also have a regularly updated page which categorizes all of our posts in the community (and your blog is often linked to!):

    * http://np.reddit.com/r/divineoffice/wiki/postindex

    I would be remiss not to point our our larger Catholic community on reddit, /r/Catholicism:

    * http://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism

    Thanks for the call out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is the memorial for the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Christian Prayer? I've tried Divine Office dot org, and the page numbers are wrong. It's listed in the General Roman Calendar at the beginning of the book, but that's about it. It's too late now to pray it, but it'll be good to know for future reference. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, it looks like DivineOffice.org had page listings from the 4-volume breviary, rather than the one volume, Christian Prayer version. It's basically the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, plus a unique closing prayer and gospel canticle antiphons. You can find them on page 1159 of your Christian Prayer book. I must say that's a very strange place to put it, in between May and June in the proper of saints. They ought to have at least put a note in the proper of seasons, after the Sacred Heart propers, so that people would know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've mentioned it on the DivineOffice.org Facebook page, too.

      Glad I'm not the only one to think it's a strange place to put it. But being fairly new to the Liturgy of the Hours (less than a year) I still get a little confused once in a while. Confusion or not though, it has become my favorite way to pray. No matter what mood I wake up in, Psalm 95 really helps start the day right and put things in perspective.

      Delete
    2. Yes, love Psalm 95! I often start saying it while I"m still just waking up. Current breviaries were not really put together with self-teaching laity in mind. Hopefully future editions will be.

      Delete
  5. Daria, this is FYI. I read somewhere that it is allowed to substitute the readings from the Office of Readings for the readings in Morning and Evening Prayer and that this is observed by the Benedictine monks of St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, MN. One would use the first reading from Office of Readings for Morning Prayer and the second reading for Evening Prayer. Thus one may obtain the benefits of the readings without praying the entire Office of Readings. I was unsuccessful in locating the source of this information this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only read the Fathers of the Church on Sundays, Solemnities and Saints Feast days. Their office of readings during the week contains a reading from the old testament and their second reading is from the new testament. To keep the continuity of the readings they on occasions will replace the morning and evening readings with those from the vigils. The monks have their own schema as do most Benedictines monasteries regarding the liturgy of the hours. They are not using the General Roman Breviary.

      Delete
    2. Aside from differences in the monastic breviary, it is certainly permitted for us to substitute the scripture reading in the OOR for the short one in Morning Prayer. The reference for that is the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours, #46. As to using the Father's reading, I wouldn't substitute it for a scripture reading, since it is not scripture, but don't think it would do any harm to insert it into either Morning or evening prayer after having done a scripture reading.

      Delete
  6. I think the same thing about summer as you do! It tricks me every time! I hear it called "summer vacation" and I am always left wondering, "where is the vacation?" I, too, enjoy the yard and garden, and the time, energy and attention it demands, though pleasant. My focus is refracted like light through a diamond in a thousand different directions, all pretty and good, but leaving me feeling like there are still so many tasks uncompleted, goals unmet, dreams abandoned, crafts unfinished, recipes untasted.. Sometimes I must actually write "sit/read/pray under shade tree" on my list of Things To Do in order to work it in to the list of priorities. I am glad to know summer hits others the same way it hits me! I enjoy learning about the LOTH and other information from your blog.

    ReplyDelete