Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Liturgy of the Hours:What it is, Why You Want It.

A while ago the remarkable Tami Kiser invited me to be part of an online Catholic women's conference.    My contribution was a basic motivational introduction to the Liturgy of the Hours.

I want to share that talk with you. If you already  pray and love the LOTH, most of what I say here will not be new to you. However, you might find it a handy way to explain things to friends who wonder at your enthusiasm for that fat, be-ribboned prayerbook you're always carrying around. It's about 20 minutes long.

In addition, if anyone out there might be interested in me as a speaker, it will give you an idea of what I'm like. I'm available to speak at parishes and other venues, doing a stand alone talk on a given topic, or an all day workshop.

Here's a link to the talk at Vimeo. I'll try to embed it on this post another day.



6 comments:

  1. Daria,

    Prayers for the repose of your Father-in-laws soul. I will say the Office of the Dead for him. It is very comforting for those who grieve to use this office for deceased relatives and for All Souls day or at the time of funerals.

    One suggestion - for those who do Eucharistic adoration, it is a good time to say the office. You can easily say the Office of Readings and the Lauds from the LOTH or Lauds and Prime from the Roman Breviary or Orthros from the Horologion.Or, you can say a Kathisma or two or three.

    Kathismas are the grouping of psalms in the Byzantine Rite. You can have several to one psalm (118/119) making up a Kathisma. In the Slavonic usage of the Byzantine Rite, it is traditional to include psalm 151 in the 20th Kathisma for devotional (but not liturgical) usage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. Now I will start researching Kathismas. A new word and concept for me.

      Delete
    2. The kathismata are actually pretty cool; they're part of the mechanism the Eastern Churches out of Byzantium select the psalmist for Morning and Evening Prayer. No idea if they have an analog in the Alexandrian or Syriac derived traditions.

      Delete
  2. I never thought about saying the Office for the Dead at Eucharistic Adorations. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the video, Daria. I have Tweeted it, too.

    ReplyDelete