Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Switching Breviaries and the woes of St. Paul


Johnvianney.jpg



The problem with using a digital breviary for a long stretch is that, when you get the urge to switch to that nice, restful, aesthetically pleasing print breviary, you've lost your place. On Monday I decided to to just that, and after scrambling around for several minutes,  and settling into the Office of Readings, I found myself thinking, "All St. Paul does these days is complain. I mean, hasn't he already said this bit about people who talk behind his back and whatnot?"

Then I realized that I had read it before. A week ago. It was now time to be in volume IV. So I dashed up to my room to put away Volume III and get Volume IV off the shelf. My first thought: only 16 weeks until Advent starts. We're in the last quarter stretch of liturgical year 2015.

Before retiring Volume III I skimmed over those readings from St. Paul once more.  Those Corinthians were a nasty bunch. So much for the great holiness of the "early Christians".  These guys were just like us, apparently. It made me very sympathetic to pastors who get called out by disgruntled parishioners, written about to the bishop, etc., NOT because of  heresy, but because of differences in personal style, approach, length of homilies, and decisions about repairs to the church and grounds. It reminded me not to sit back critiquing priests for things that are, in the end, matters of taste.

St. Jean Marie Vianney's feast is today. A number of his parishioners became disgruntled with him and had a petition campaign to the bishop going. I love the way he responded, which you can read about here.




4 comments:

  1. I have the same issue sometimes when switching between a Benedictine breviary and the standard Roman breviary. I figure that if I end up in the wrong place, the Lord just wanted to speak to me with additional scriptural lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When using www.divineoffice.org, the ribbon placement (page numbers) for various editions are always available for those who want to use the written word. For example:

    Liturgy of the Hours Vol. IV:
    Ordinary: 618
    Psalter: Wednesday, Week II, 859
    Common of BVM: 1643 (reading, responsory, intercessions)
    Proper of Saints: 1273 (canticle antiphon, concluding prayer)

    Christian Prayer:
    Ordinary: 689
    Psalter: Wednesday, Week II, 812
    Common of BVM: 1372 (reading, responsory, intercessions)
    Proper of Saints: 1209 (canticle antiphon, concluding prayer)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do know about divineoffice.org and it's helpful instructions. It's just that I like to figure it our for myself. Good mental exercise. And I generally do it successfully except when I'm not paying attention.

      Delete
    2. I like reading from the Breviary books sometimes, too. BUT as you know, the Concluding Prayers are no longer correct because they do not match the Collect Prayer from the day's Mass. The online versions match! I am looking forward to the new Breviary revisions when available.

      By the way, I saw this post on why the laity should read the LOTH on ChurchPop website today:
      http://www.churchpop.com/2015/08/05/5-reasons-every-layperson-should-pray-the-liturgy-of-the-hours/

      Delete