Monday, December 19, 2011

Beware the Advent Police



Father Erik of the ever-entertaining Orthometer has posted a list of Liturgical Gripes today.

Among the gripes  was something that some of us, in our zeal to Preserve the Season of Advent, can be guilty of. If my adult kids were habitual blog surfers, they'd certainly be sending me this link today. Although they'd have to admit that we've relaxed considerably over the years. (or as they might put it, they've worn me down.)

"Advent Police. My first year at the seminary, the Ice Queen (tm) decreed that there would be no Christmas decorations at all during Advent. (I think she was descended from Burgermeister Meisterburger.) It made for the most depressing December EVER! Jesse Trees just don't cut it. I hear more and more of similar bans. Get a grip folks. I understand the desire to appreciate the Liturgical Season of Christmas, but get a grip folks. Saying Merry Christmas does not destroy Advent and neither do Christmas lights and trees. This problem can addressed by the gradual introduction of Christmas decorations culminating on December 25th and by leaving them up until the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. Liturgical Puritanism in not the answer."