Thursday, January 17, 2013

Breviary Questions, Anyone?





There's plenty for Divine Office Newbies (and Oldbies) to find confusing. For example:

Why doesn't the one-volume breviary put the antiphon on both ends of the Psalm?
Why doesn't my Aunt Mary's British breviary (or my Tia Maria's Spanish breviary) have any psalm prayers?
Why is there a don't the Glory Be in the breviary and the Glory Be for the rosary match?
On a saints memorial do I just use the weekday psalter with the concluding prayer for the saint, or do I use the whole  Common of (pastors, martyrs, holy women, etc.)?

These are just a few.

So if something about the Liturgy of the Hours is bothering you, just leave your question in the comment boxes and I'll get back to you with an answer that is guaranteed correct 99.9 percent of the time.