Thursday, October 3, 2013

Weekly Q&A - I love October edition

I say it every year. October is my favorite-est month of all. It is just too beautiful around here to be believed. The temperatures are perfect. Several of my favorite saints are commemorated during this month.
The only drawback to October in my part of the world is that is becomes extremely scary to drive after dark. I call it Night of the Living Deer syndrome. Actually, it's even scary in the middle of the day sometimes.  But I already wrote about that last year, along with some homage to the angels who keep me alive through it all. 

It's weekly Q&A time. One reader already asked  a question on the previous post: Why Sunday week I Psalms for the memorial of the Guardian angels, which is not designated as a feast, and therefore not normally deserving of anything other than normal weekday psalms? I gave him an off the cuff answer, which was okay, but since then I looked up what the General Instruction says about the psalter for obligatory memorials:
235. In the office of readings, at morning prayer, and at evening prayer:
a. the psalms and their antiphons are taken from the current week and day, unless there are proper antiphons or proper psalms, which is indicated as the case occurs.

So clearly, we had an "otherwise indicated" situation yesterday. I guess angels are special enough to rate Sunday week I psalms, even when their day is only a memorial.

Any other questions? 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daria, It's Tami from www.TurningtoGodsWord.com . Thank you for all you do to help people understand and pray the LOH. I remember you posting once that when the readings are from Revelation that you tend to get frustrated with all the imagery and such and would love to do a study sometime to learn more about what that last book of the Bible is all about. (That's not exactly what you said, but I'm thinking you said something along those lines.) We just came out with a new Catholic Bible study this fall and it's on the Book of Revelation. I thought you might like to check it out. We'd love to send you a comp copy if you are interested. You can contact us via our website and see a sample of the study there as well. In Christ, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Daria
    The Ordinary gives the same instructions that you posted above. Lo and behold, when I went back to check, the Proper does indeed indicate "Psalms and canticle from Sunday, Week I".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Daria!

    I've been praying the LoH for several months from the DivineOffice.org app. Today I picked up a copy of the single-volume CBC LoH. One question - what`s the best (or most common) way to use the bazillion and one ribbons in the book to mark out pages?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, which might be of interest to others, so I'm going to write a separate post about it for tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. How would you use the Common for the Doctors of the Church for Saints like S. Therese of the Child Jesus or S. Teresa of Avila?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, you would use the regular weekday for the psalms, then go use the common for everything else EXCEPT for those elements that are given for the saint's day in the proper of saints. The other option is to do everything from the current weekday EXCEPT for those elements in the proper of saints.

      Delete
    2. I know about substituting the weekday reading, responsory, antiphon and intercessions with the ones in the common, however I know that the Common of Doctors instructs you to use the 'everything else' from the Common of Pastors (like the intercessions) with the ones given for the Doctors. The question is how would you use the intercessions from the Common of Virgins instead?

      Delete
    3. I apologize for not understanding your question. What you are saying is that for the three female doctors of the church, it would not make sense to use common of pastors for the intercessions since these refer specifically to priests. I agree completely! But it looks like the common of doctors has not been adjusted to fit female doctors either. My breviary istructs us to use the entire common of virgins for our three woman doctors (Therese, Teresa of Avila and Catherine of Siena), with the exception of the elements written for them in the proper of saints. Perhaps someday the Church will give us a common for female doctors!

      Delete