Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Weekly Q&A, Joy from the Pope, and Welcome!

Last things first. Welcome, new bog follower Alan Neskar.

If you don't have spiritual reading planned yet for advent, I suggest a slow, take-your-time reading of Pope Francis' new Apostolic Exhoration, Evangelii Gaudium.   I've only read the first chapter so far, but it's touched me deeply. Many other writers have recommended that we set aside our personal "hobby horse" before reading it. That is, don't just read it in a feverish search for your Important Issue to be addressed (pro-life, liturgy, social justice, women's roles, etc.), but instead read it with an open heart, attentive to hear what you need to hear, eager to learn something new, or be reminded of what you might have  forgotten.

Funny how a psalm verse that you've read (yet not seen) a million times will suddenly pop out at you. Mine today was verse 8 of Psalm 39: And now, Lord, what is there is there to wait for? Was, given what preceeded it, a not exactly despairing question, but a world-weary one.  But then the follow up: In You rests all my hope, was like a tiny flame lit in the pre-dawn grayness. And my next thought--Advent is upon us, and will teach us exactly what we have waited for, and are waiting for.

Then,, that reading in the OOR from St. Macarius, with the grim analogies of what life without Jesus is like and the more hopeful analogy of our souls being tilled like a wilderness patch turned into a garden. Loved it. This is the only time Maracarius turns up in the Office of Readings. I wasn't surprised to learn that Macarius was a dessert hermit. You can see how well he knows that barren places that he describes here.

Okay. It's Thanksgiving Eve,and I"m cooking for twelve tomorrow. And figuring out where to put six guests at night. Gotta run. But thanks be to God for all his good gifts, including all of my Coffee&Canticles friends who share with me a love of His great gift of scriptural, liturgical prayer.

13 comments:

  1. Daria, thank you for welcoming and introducing me to your blog. I appreciate all your responses to my questions. I think you have a great blog with outstanding information and links. Happy American Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daria, can you enlighten me on Optional Vigils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cover this one in my book (which ought to be in every Catholic home! :) ) but will let you in on it here. Vigils is an option to be used on Saturday evenings if you customarily pray Sunday's Office of Readings on Saturday evening. Everything you need is in an appendix of your breviary, or just follow it on ibreviary.com It contains several bible readings, always ending with one of the Resurrection gospels, thus reinforcing the idea of every Sunday being a "little Easter". In fact, it will remnd you of the extended liturgy of the word at Easter Vigil mass.

      Delete
  3. Daria, When I click on your link for Pope Francis' Evangelii Gaudium, I keep getting the Sept 30th post on the African Breviary. I would like to read this for Advent. Could you give me another link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Try this: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium_en.html

      Delete
  4. Nothing to do with a question on LOH, but more on how you suggest to follow your blog without Google Reader anymore. Thought I could on Twitter, but that seems to be not the best way. Suggestions? Hope you have a Blessed Advent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I'll look into it later next week. I don't use Twitter much, so I'm not sure how that method would be set up. But I"ll go to the blogger tools page and see what can be done.

      Delete
    2. By the way, Chris, did you see the "Subscribe by email" gadget down near the bottom of this page? Or the subscribe to RSS feed thing on the top left?

      Delete
    3. I had not seen the email subscription. Have done that. Also saw the "Subscribe via Kindle" which seems intriguing (hope you get some royalties on the .99 per month--definitely worth it to me). Will have to carry the Kindle and the iPad, but small sacrifice.
      The RSS subscription links not really working for me. No Yahoo account or Atom. I have to reduce my electronic footprint somewhere (plus my poor brain is already overloaded with technology).

      Delete
    4. I use Digg Reader, which I have grown to like as much as I liked Google Reader.
      https://digg.com/reader

      Delete
  5. It always takes me a while to get used to the format of the Advent/Christmas Vol of the LotH. Some parts get moved from the Psalter to the Common of Seasons--or am I imagining things? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don’t worry you’re not hallucinating. As much as I love the Loth, I sincerely think they couldn't have made it more complicated even if they tried. “Keep it simple….” As the saying goes. It would be nice if the forthcoming revised hours had a simpler format with easier to understand and more precise instructions.

    ReplyDelete