Monday, November 10, 2014

Anyone Staying Home Tomorrow?

update: It looks like there was voting at the Bishops' meeting  yesterday, and the items related to the Liturgy of the Hours were already voted on. Changes to the Revised Grail Psalms were approved, as was the supplement to the LOTH for all the new saints' offices. 

I'm sorry I missed the discussion of the Revised Grail Psalter yesterday. Did anyone catch any of it?

But now I can go on my bike ride without worrying. 

I wasn't home most of today and so did not tune into the US Bishops' meeting coverage on EWTN, although I gather that there wasn't any voting today.   This means that the agenda items regarding the Liturgy of the Hours will probably be discussed tomorrow.

I'm kind of torn: the weather forecast for tomorrow promises what is likely the last sunny and mild day for a long, long time. I'd like to use it for one last  ride on  the Allegheny River bike trail, from about 10am til 1:30pm.

So, if any of you are watching EWTN at that time, and catch the bishops discussing the revisions to the Revised Grail Psalms and/or the new  prayers for recently canonized saints' offices, please take notes and tell me what happened in the comments section below. Most religious news reporters barely even know what the Liturgy of the Hours is, so they would not pay much attention to this issue.

But if any of you  Coffee&Canticles readers are tuned in, you will know exactly what is going on, right? I'd love to have a full report should I miss the televised discussion.

Many thanks in advance. 

14 comments:

  1. Does that mean the new saints will be in a supplement to the revised LotH rather than incorporated into the commons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they will be integrated into the eventual new edition. This just means that until that time, a supplement will be made available.

      Delete
  2. I'm assuming the Revised Grail Psalms that were voted on (and passed) are the ones with modifications and not as they were originally produced by Conception Abbey. Is this correct? Is there anywhere to find the modified Revised Grail Psalms? I haven't seen any specifics on how they were modified except "to facilitate easier proclamation and singing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my impression, too. I don't think the modified versions are published yet. I'd certainly love to see this myself.

      Delete
    2. They are not published yet. I am curious as to what this does to the copyright; are the modifications extensive enough to constitute whatever it is that is needed it to be considered a new work? Obviously, we in the pews don't know those facts yet, but I imagine this question had to pass through someone's head in the conference.

      Delete
    3. Ugh. Don't get me started on that topic. The buying and selling of God's Word. I know there need to be some protections, but the current state of affairs is not worthy of the Catholic Church in America.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I definitely agree with your sentiment. Creative Commons seems to be the way to go for the scriptures, perhaps with an addendum that ecclesiastical permission is obtained first. But no more of this charge-per-use tomfoolery.

      Delete
  3. I assume that this is the one published in Nov., 2012? If so, there are samples on Google Books at: http://books.google.com/books?id=Z_9Kk3MLX9wC&pg=PR24&lpg=PR24&dq=revised+grail+psalter+examples&source=bl&ots=k1-Ipe6DiP&sig=NvVQlTQ6axsYnRmXKJbxdIk4XtU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WlhjVIuIIMujyASCxoFo&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=revised%20grail%20psalter%20examples&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and no, Doug. I already have this, in fact, have a breviary from Africa that contains this psalter. But the bishops have just voted in some further revisions or changes to this psalter, and that is what I wish I could see some samples of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The changes to the Revised Grail Psalms passed with the exact number of votes in favor needed. I just thought that was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if you had seen this yet Daria.

    http://www.lulu.com/shop/jonathan-britt/lectionary-for-the-office-of-readings-vol-i/hardcover/product-20656459.html

    http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2010/10/two-year-patristic-lectionary-for.html

    For those of us who would like a two year lectionary this is about as good as we are going to get for a long time I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Corey. I was aware of the Pluscarden Abbey online version of the two year cycle--and have mentioned it here once or twice-- but did not know about the availability of the printed version via Lulu. I might ask for that as a Christmas gift. And I'll publicize that in a post sometime soon.

      Delete
    2. I was also going to add--yes, it will be a long time before we have this available in an English edition from the usual publishers. Some people feel that the new English edition should be put off until EVERYTHING is ready, including this, but for my part I"ll be glad to have the antiphons and petitions fixed. (I'm already enjoying the improved psalter, using the Kenyan English breviary.)

      Delete
    3. I kinda sympathize with both sides of the argument. I'd like the revised version as well, fixing the hymns in particular. At the same time a two year cycle of readings would be pretty nice to have before I'm in my sixties. I'm also hoping that they will open up the right to publish to other people. I'm a pretty big nerd when it comes to finely bound books, and I'd really like to see what Midwest Theological Forum could do with this.

      Delete