Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Basilica Bewilderment Part II: a Clue




In yesterday's post I wondered aloud why the feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica will take precedence this Sunday over the 32nd Sunday in ordinary time.   I'd noted that this was not a solemnity, but a feast.  All the relevant Church documents I checked only allowed for feasts of Our Lord (Transfiguration, Triumph of the Cross, etc.) to take the place of the regular Sunday liturgy.

Late last night, I checked the index of celebrations to find all the feasts of Our Lord, and guess what was listed under that category?

The Dedication of the Lateran Basilica!!!

That's weird. How is that  feast of Our Lord?

Then, this morning I saw this from alert reader M.J. Chait:

"The Archbasilica was dedicated to "the most holy Savior" (Sanctissimi Salvatoris) by Pope Clement XII. By extension, therefore, the feast of its dedication is a feast of the Lord."


So there we are.  Thank you, M.J. Chait and also to Mike Demers who pondered along with me.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The dedication is an event in the life of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daria,

    I asked our associate pastor. His reply was similar with some elaboration. He said that The Dedication of the Lateran Basilica! is a feast of Our Lord that occurs on a fixed date rather than on a fixed Sunday or a movable feast. He said it is part of an elaborate hierarchy of feasts and solemnities that is explained at the front of Vol. One of the four volume set.

    Emil F. Gies
    Brookline, MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered about the context of St. Athanasius' quote about Christ "changing the bad state of the earth when you came in a nature like ours". Can't find it using search engine, but it's an interesting quote to me because it's not necessarily intuitive that the state of the earth has been changed (at least visibly) by Christ's present given the current bad state of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell me which reading this is from? I'm not seeing any Athanasius in the readings for the last couple of days.

      Delete
  4. It's the quote that appears before the morning psalm for today. You can see a screen shot of it via my liturgy of the hours app here:

    http://poncer.blogspot.com/2014/11/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now I see. I don't always notice those little quotes at the top of the psalms (and reading them is, in fact optional). I'm curious about your translation. Mine says "Christ, higher than the cherubim, when you took our lowly nature you transformed our sinful world."
      My interpretation: just by gracing the earth with his presence--a presence that included a physical body--Jesus elevated everything that is physical. God taking on physical matter makes physical matter a holy thing. The physical world is no longer only a potential vehicle of sin, but now a channel of grace. But of course, you'd want to see the rest of Athanasius' sermon to understand what he was getting at.

      Delete
    2. That's a pretty cool blog you have, by the way. Lots of fun content.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I appreciate your blog and feel like you've found a valuable niche in devoting to the Liturgy of the Hours.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a reasonable explanation and it's interesting to see your translation. Thanks Daria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another explanation here: http://www.sahayaselvam.org/2014/11/05/feast-of-dedication-of-the-lateran-basilica/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit bewildered today on the daytime prayers. I see Psalm 118 on iBreviary and Psalm 23 on divineoffice.org. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divineoffice.org was using the daytime psalter for Sunday week IV, but ibreviary remembered that for today's feast we should use Sunday week I.

      Delete
  8. Thank you! I was scratching my head on this one. Now if I could just figure out why the Mass for the Dead took precedence over Sunday Mass last week on All Souls Day...

    ReplyDelete