Friday, September 21, 2012

Seven Quick Takes on Friday



7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 188)

1. Back at Last! This is my first 7-takes post in months. The reason being that I don't have the wit and energy to write multiple weekly blog posts while working on a book. As of late last night, said book is finished and submitted to my editor. The Everyday Catholic's Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours is on its way!  No doubt there will be things to fix once my editor goes over it, but the big worry--can I really write 30,000 words about one subject--is happily resolved. I'll be back to blogging more steadily starting next week. Here is my celebratory haiku:

Ahead of the deadline
I finished the book last night.
Now to clean my house.

2. One of the psalms in the Divine Office this week said that God will "renew  your like an eagle's" which sounds lovely at first glance, but then gets you wondering--what is so special about an eagle's youth in particular? Why not a screech owl's? Is there some legend about eagles that the psalmist was referencing? I did a little research and the results are over at Catholic Exchange.

3. Fall is here right on time! I love it. The beauty of autumn is our reward for the cold of winter. I still think it's worth it.

4. Forgot to share a favorite image of Our Lady back on the of her Nativity. This painting hangs on the back wall of the cathedral of San Juan Baptista, in San Juan. I believe the title is Our Lady of Puerto Rico. Note the cute  multi-racial angels, representing the population of the island.
Y

5. My daughter's boyfriend just signed up for RCIA!  My investment in the Father Barron's Catholicism dvds seems to have paid off. Maybe he will eventually even give them back, but I won't start nagging until after Easter.

6. Have you heard yet about One Body, Many Blogs? It's a nifty new e-book consisting of some of the big-name bloggers' top ten lists of advice for small-name bloggers. It's free until October 1st, so get your's now.

7.  It's been a scary week for world news. I'm really clinging to the responsory for Night Prayer ("into your hands,Lord, I commend my spirit) and to Psalm 91.  What is your favorite scriptural security blanket during these darkening days?

For more quick takes, visit Conversion Diary.