Friday, August 11, 2017

If You give a Prisoner a Breviary...

How will he or she respond?


Ron Zeilinger of Dismas Ministry (see my previous post) told me today that after he recently gave a prisoner a four volume set of the Liturgy of the Hours, he received a note which said,

"Thank you for sending the Liturgy of the Hours. It is like a river of pure water."

My f irst thoughts about that were:


1. Do I receive my daily liturgical prayer with the same clarity, the same  joy,  the same  gratitude as that prison inmate?  (Answer: no, not always, and I'd better do something about that.)


2. I'm going donate more breviaries to Dismas Ministry.






7 comments:

  1. I just emailed him the other day, am sending my 4-volume breviary to them in Milwaukee, as a Benedictine oblate I pray the Hours out of Benedictine Daily Prayer since my Monastery follows that breviary very closely, and when praying the Hours at my parish we use the Christian Prayer breviary, which has slightly different length readings than the 4 volume anyhow, so better to pray with the breviary copy used by the group that you are praying with! On the occasion that I need a patristics reading not in BDP, I can use the Internet.

    Thanks for the recommendation on donation, my 4-volume was gathering dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Wonderful. I hope I get a few more comments like this one!

      Delete
  2. Just wondering if Anyone on here opts to do Afternoon Prayer instead of the traditional Mid day? Also I've been interested to know, as the Laity do we also pray the Office in the Name of the Church or is that just Priests, Monks Nuns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do either depending on what time of day it occurs to me to say Daytime prayer, so sometimes midday and sometimes midafternoon. I'm pretty sure that laity also pray in the name of the Church but don't have time to find an official statement for you. Will check that out later.

      Delete
    2. Mitchell, check out #1174 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and see if that answers your question.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Daria for pointing out #1174 of the CCC... ,what a wise lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Thank you for promoting it, Daria.

    ReplyDelete