Thursday, April 19, 2012

Arcane breviary Secrets Revealed!




Want to know how I can dish out answers to the weekly Q&A post with such cool confidence? Just click on the new "General Instruction" tab above. It will take you to directly to the EWTN library copy of the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours. The handy table of contents makes it pretty easy to navigate.

You can also find this in front of volume 1 of the 4-volume breviary. The one-volume breviary only has a few selections, and seems to leave out all the most helpful stuff, so this tab is just what you one-volume folks need.

So, from now on, if one of my Q&A answers does not seem right to you, we can pull out up General Instruction and argue over its interpretation. What fun! I can see it now: me tapping away in Pennsylvania, another of you in Australia, and others in Japan or Wyoming, quibbling away over options for intercessions, or the burning question of whether hymns are optional or essential. Perhaps against a backdrop of nuclear war or a comet fast approaching the earth or an invasion of dinosaurs.
 

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I were able to attend morning prayer at an Anglican cathedral in London. It was very similar. I noticed they only prayed two psalms and the reading was much longer than the typical from the one volume prayer I use.

    Is there any correspondence between the roman liturgy of the hours and the Anglican?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are several different versions of the Anglican book of Common Prayer that are in use with Anglicans and, in the UNited States, the Episcopal church. Historically,its roots are in the Divine Office of the Roman Catholic Church. On any given day, especially during the liturgical seasons, what we pray and what the Anglicans pray may have some of the same psalms, but it won't match up all the time. All I really know about the specifics are what I read in wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_hours and also, little bits I gather when reading British literature. I believe MOrning Prayer in the Anglican version combines what used to be called Matins and Lauds (Morning Prayer and Office of Readings), hence the longer reading. But I'm not positive that this is what you heard.
    Lutherans and Presbyterians also have daily psalters of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of the Book of Common Prayer. I wish the entire Liturgy of the Hours could fit into a book that compact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest thing we had to that was the one-volume Pauline media breviary, which had everything but the Office of Readings. Sadly, it went out of print, and the only one-volume book available today doesn't have the complete hours of daytime prayer.

      Delete