Monday, February 25, 2013

Adopt a Cardinal and Funny Lutherans

With a deadline on a writing project about Bl Jerzy Popieluszko coming up fast, blogging is getting the short shrift this week. But with conclave fever running rampant, I had to share two items with you, just in case you hadnt caught them on the larger Catholic news sites.

First, there's a very, very funny video done by Lutheran Satire, making fun of self-styled "devout Catholic women" who believe in basically nothing that the Church teaches, but feel the right to impose their non-belief on the rest of us:




Second, and of a more serious (but still kinda fun) nature, the Adopt a Cardinal Program: you sign in, say a prayer to the Holy Spirit, click a button, and receive the randomly selected name of Cardinal for whom you should pray and maybe fast from now thru the culmination of the conclave. Now there's a way we can all influence the conclave! My cardinal is Juan Cardinal Thorne of Lima, Peru.
Hey! What a great homeschooling project. Have each pupil adopt a Cardinal, and then get busy researching his country of origin, biography, etc.

Have fun everyone! See you on Q&A Day.

8 comments:

  1. Funny!! :)

    I love the Adopt a Cardinal idea!! My cardinal is Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois, Archbishop of Paris, France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "adopted" Cardinal Ennio Antonelli of Italy, president emeritus of the Pontifical Council for the Family.
    I think this was an excellent idea and a great way to involve the whole Church in praying before and during the upcoming Conclave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also adopted Cardinal Cipriani Thorne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the conclave, I will be praying for Cardinal Edwin Frederick O'Brien, OESSH, Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.

      Delete
  4. I was assigned Cardinal Peter Erdo of Hungary. Great concept! And although I'm a little too old for homeschooling (I am just 6 years younger than my adopted Cardinal), I like Daria's idea to look up and become astute about my adopted leaders background and diocese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you all agree that this is a great gimmick. Kudos to the Germans at JUGEND who thought it up. This morning at mass I prayed for "my" cardinal, and also thought to offer a prayer for him several other times today. I hope my enthusiasm does not flag. To remind myself, I printed his name on a sticky note which is now on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had problems getting into this particular website and I really want to spiritually adopt a Cardinal. It keeps saying "An error occurred. Try again later" Does anybody else besides me having problems getting on this site? I put in my name and e mail but when I try to type in the code numbers and letters, I end up with with the same old message. I decided to play a "Fantasy conclave" game for free and there I was able to pick a candidate how many days it would take and also what name he would take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if maybe the site isn't getting overloaded with visitors. It's gotten a lot of publicity these past two days. But I guess you could do this the old fashioned way, and just do a search for a list of all the voting cardinals, and just close your eyes and point to one!

      Delete