Friday, July 26, 2013

Weekly Q&A - Heat Relief Edition

www.passionistnuns.com

Welcome, new blog followers Karen and "Flowers". Good to have you here. Feel free to question or comment any time, any post.

Finally, a break in the heat/humidity/frequent rain. We've had a couple of cool dry days and clear, starry nights  that awaken the longing for autumn in my heart.

And made it possible to get the deck painted, so I am feeling very, very good these days.

More exciting news: EWTN has agreed to interview me on Bookmarks with Doug Keck!!!!!
I'm not sure yet if this is a live broadcast or a taping for future broadcast, but it will take place on August 8th at the Catholic Marketing Network convention in Somerset, New Jersey. I'm thrilled that the Everyday Catholics Guide to the Liturgy of the Hours is getting this kind of exposure. Hopefully many more Catholics will start praying with the Church universal as a result of this program.

Okay, weekly Q&A time. Any and all comments and questions about the breviary are welcome here.

And happy St. Anne&Joachim day to you all. I like to think of this as an unofficial Catholic Grandparents Day, so may special blessings come today, through the intercession of this holy couple, to all those in this demographic.


6 comments:

  1. Thnk you for this blog it helps, I have your book and reference it and will continue to do so. A question was ask to me about what is Matins and I did not clearly understand the information I have seen. Is it this simple "*matins: older name for Office of Readings'

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daria...I have asked about the Mundelein Psalter before. I have a couple more questions: will the new translation in the process for LOH affect the Mundelein (in other words...should I wait?)? AND I was on their sample page and it does give samples for the organ and piano tones but there are only a couple for voice...if I purchased it, would I use the piano or organ sample to get a sense of the tone or will there be more files to access once I purchase the book? Did that make sense : ) I am not musically inclined AT ALL but would love to be able to chant these.

    Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      I think the piano/organ is all they have for the psalm tones (because the words would keep changing for each day's antiphons) but the hymns are done with real voices. I guess what you should do is open their sample pages for Sunday week one, print them off, and then play the audio files that go with the antiphons. If listening to those, plus following the up and downs of the musical notes on the printed page teaches you to chant the psalm, then you will know that you can do this. When I first got the psalter, I"d just learn one psalm tone at a time, and use it for all the psalms several days running until I had it in my memory. Then I'd learn a second one and do the same thing, then take turns alternating it with the first one i learned. When I was expert at these two, I'd add the third one.

      When we get a new breviary (someday--maybe five years from now) There will be a new translation of psalms and antiphons. I'm guessing the Mundelein people will issue a new edition. But if you learn the chant tones now, you will know them so well that you can sing them with any psalm translation. I use them now with the Revised Grail translation in my African breviary. The Mundelein psalter costs around $50 brand new. That's like $10 per year assuming we have a new breviary in 5 years. Although given that it took ten years for the missal translation to appear, it's quite possible that the breviary project will be slowed down too.

      One more thing. If you buy it and still can't figure things out, we could get together on the phone and I could sing them for you!

      Delete
    2. Great advice...thanks so much! I love the thought of chanting together but I really wouldn't put you through that torture LOL!

      I like the idea of learning the way you did and you are right...once learned, I can use them with new translation.

      On my *wish list*.

      Delete
    3. I just saw your review on Amazon. Thanks!

      Delete