Saturday, February 1, 2014

Presentation Sunday!



It's very special to have the feast of the Presentation of Our Lord on a Sunday. It means we get to use Evening Prayer I for this feast. And that includes this lovely antiphon for the Magnificat:

The old man carried the child, but the child was the old man's Lord. The Virgin gave birth to the child yet remained a virgin forever. She knelt in worship before her child.

Do you know why this feast is also called Candlemas? 

Well, yes, because we get blessed candles to take home on this feast. But do you know why this is the day to get candles? Find the solution in the Canticle of Simeon, which we say every night at Night Prayer. 

2 comments:

  1. "…a light to reveal you to the nations…"?

    I must have prayed the hours incorrectly last year, because I folded down the page of Evening Prayer with this antiphon, and you said we only read it when it falls on a Sunday. I love that antiphon!! I even talked about it in my Facebook status tonight. :-)

    God bless,
    Michele F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the answer for the candles.
      I saw the antiphon on your status right after I posted this.
      Although the breviary says to use Evening Prayer I for this feast "if it falls on a Sunday" I wonder what harm there could be in using it during any year. It's not as if there were any other feast or memorial on February 1, and we are permitted in the General Instruction to substitute other appropriate offices, psalmody, etc. when the occasion makes it appropriate or there are "pastoral reasons" for so doing. In the spirit of that instruction, it seems that using EPI for this feast whatever day it occurs would be okay.

      Delete