Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Q&A time.(7 in 7, Day #3)

Tonight at Evening Prayer I shall have a hard time getting into the spirit of Psalm 126 verse 6:
they go out, they go out, full of tears, bearing seed for the sowing...

It's been a long hard winter, and the thought of sowing seeds in my garden fills me with joyous longing.  But I get the analogy. The sowers are working hard and have nothing to show for it for a lon time.  This is how it feels when we suffer. Even if we remember to unite our suffering to Christ's, we may not see what good that does for a long time. Maybe not until we reach eternity, when our deliverance will seem "like a dream."

Will Stuart McLin and Joseph please send me their addresses so that I may send them the books they won in last weeks' giveaway. write to thesockeys"at"gmail"dot" com

Welcome, new blog follower, Arthur!

Q&A time. On yesterday's post Michelle  asked me what books I was thinking of reading for lent, but I"m thinking of writing a special post of recommended books later this week. Today's Q's and A's will be strictly breviary related.

Of course, there may not be many questions this time around. It's been a quiet week, liturgy-wise. No saint's days to worry about. The last hurrah for ordinary time until after Pentecost. The Proper of Seasons will become a daily companion starting next Wednesday. And we four-volume people get to switch books.

But if you have any questions at all, like what it the point of an antiphon, or a psalm-prayer, or how one prays the intercessions properly, then fire away.




2 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to let you know that I loved your book! I've just started praying compline and it's just a great way to end the day. I've written a review of your book on my blog Catholic Cravings and I'd be honoured if you'd check it out! (http://www.catholiccravings.com/2014/02/26/book-review-everyday-catholics-guide-liturgy-hours/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Laura! Thank you! That's about the most thorough review I've ever gotten. And I love your blog and your Pinterest page too. I don't do PInterest myself, but looking at yours almost makes me want to sign up for yet another internet time-waster. I'll be sharing a link to the review quite a bit in the next few days.
    Just keep going with Compline until it's a well ingrained habit. The compline psalms are some of the best ones. (I love the one for Sunday night, and that one in the middle of the week that begins "Out of the depths I cry to you O Lord.") One good tip, which you might have figured out already, is not to leave Compline until the very last moment before you get into bed, else sooner or later you'll skip it when you are too tired. Do it half an hour or more before utter exhaustion sets in, maybe while you are enjoying your bedtime snack or tea or whatever your late evening ritual is. As soon as I saw "honoured" spelled with that "U" I knew you weren't a Yank, and I was guessing Canadian at first. But learning you were Austrailian was more exciting. So much fun to connect with someone on the opposite side of the world.

    ReplyDelete