Thursday, September 26, 2013

Weekly Welcome +Q&A+martyrdom speculation

Welcome new blog followers Dan and "-" . (Now that's about the smallest user name I've every seen.)

In the Office of Readings,the second reading for Sts. Cosmas and Damian, written by St. Augustine, had us thinking about martyrdom. There are martyrs in many parts of the world today who "give back what had been paid for them" and "took careful note of what they ate and drank" (i.e.. the body and blood of Christ)  so that they might return the same."

Do you think we pampered and privileged Americans/Brits/Aussies/Canadians will ever be called on to shed our blood for Christ? And if so, will we succeed in accepting it,or will we fail? Augustine tells us to fear not, but to do what the psalm tells us: I will call on the name of the Lord. 
I hope Augustine is right. But even if we are overconfident, and then fail--and this applies to any endeavor short of martyrdom as well--the nice thing is that God in his mercy can use that too. Look at Psalm 30 this evening: I said to myself in my good fortune: I shall never be shaken...Then You hid your face and I was put to confusion. 
Yet, by the end of the psalm, everything comes right once again.

Okay. It's weekly Q&A time. Anyone confused about canticles, uncertain about antiphons, lost in lauds, or muddled with matins, just let me know in the comments below. Then I, or one of my many astute followers will help you out.