Monday, January 2, 2012

Divine Office Resolutions for the New Year



Anyone make some resolutions regarding the Divine Office?
Maybe to pray it more consistently, or to pray  an hour you don't usually do?

Here's mine:
1. Consistenly say Daytime Prayer when its practically time for Vespers. I'm going to aim for noon, in the hopes it will be done no later than 2pm.
2. Try harder to pray Compline sometime before I'm ready to fall face down into bed from exhaustion. Say, between 9 and 10pm.
3. Explore the idea of singing or chanting at least a little bit of each day's Hours. Although I normally love to sing, it  just feels silly to do this by myself, so I've just ignored all the insistence in the General Instruction that singing is  important. True, the Instruction is largely addressed to religious who pray in community. True, laymen are urged to adapt the LOTH in any way that suits their situation in life, and reciting rather than singing seems to be a sensible adaptation. Still, I'm going to try this, maybe just one or two psalms per day,  and see what happens.  I'll let you know how this goes.

What are your Divine Office Resolutions?