Friday, September 30, 2011

Seven Quick Takes



--- 1 ---
My first attempt at joining Conversion Diary's 7 Quick takes. If I post AND link back successfully, it will be something of a miracle. So if you are reading this in CD's comment section, rejoice with me. Thank you Jen for this opportunity.
--- 2 ---
My blog received it's 10,000th  pageview in it's 7 months of existence. Which sounds like nothing since CD must get that much in a week. But to me it's huge. I cater to an elite (i.e. , tiny) niche, and have the stats to prove it. And this number was reached this month rather than next due to the marvelous  Mark Shea giving me a shout-out on Catholic and Enjoying it!
--- 3 ---
This is a trailer for a new Catholic cartoon, The Greatest Miracle. It's about the Mass and angelic activity. It will have limited theatrical release this month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HYMMKZHV5A
--- 4 ---
My side yard
Fall is here and it's glorious. There's no better time of year so long as you live in the moment and don't view  it as the harbinger of the high fuel bills and scary driving conditions  to come. The foliage, the drama, the long shadows of late afternoon, the breaking out of sweaters, scarves, and black jeans--what could be better?
--- 5 ---
Last spring, at the Faith&Family Mother's conference,  I was challenged by Pat Gohn and Jen Fulwiler to "let go of fear", and "help Catholic women connect with one another." It took a whole summer of dithering, but I finally stepped out of my comfy bubble and started a women's bible study at church. Feedback from the first session has been good. Next session is next week, and two new attendees will join the present 7. I can't believe I'm actually doing this.
--- 6 ---
I have never blogged about my husband's work, but in honor of the month of the rosary, I think I ought to. Bill is the custodian of the National Pilgrim Virgin of Our Lady of Fatima. This means he takes an incredibly gorgeous, papal-blessed statue of our Blessed Mother to churches all around the country and speaks on the miracle/apparitions/message of  Our Lady of Fatima. He'll be touring Boston  all month. People love his presentation, and even those who think they know all there is to know about Fatima usually learn something new from him. If you live in the Boston area and want to find his schedule, go to the World Apostolate of Fatima website, click on the "WAF Events" tab, and then click on NPVS tour.
--- 7 ---
Apple pie happens a lot around here in the fall. The reason being two old trees full of very ugly apples that no one would dream of just biting into. One has to peel, carve out the funky stuff, and cook the rest before anyone will eat it. To make a good dessert pie, there is nothing for it but to use real, white, artery clogging shortening. If you can't do that, then forget pie and make apple crisp instead. If you can do it, then enjoy one of life's greatest pleasures, homemade pie.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!