Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Weekly Q&A- Edward Francis edition

Despite the long, dragged out winter, this Lent of 2013 has zoomed by. The papal resignation, conclave, and it's joyous results has been, for most of us, a pleasant distracton. Not a distraction from penance--on the contrary, I think many of us prayed and fasted a little more than we would during the average lent, since we wanted to do our part to bring graces down upon the conclave. But the whole process gave us a focus.  A sense of hope.  

Not to mention a reason to get out of bed each day--rushing to turn on the radio or the TV or the conclave app to see what was new. So lent has passed very quickly.

And now, I have more happy news which I can't help but share. My second grandson was born yesterday. Introducing Edward Francis Mathie.


Mother and baby are doing fine, but since Mother is recovering from a caesarean, and has an 18 month old to manage in addtion to the newborn, a prayer for her would be appreciated.

Now--it's weekly Q&A Day. Any questions about the breviary, perhaps something related to the triduum?  Don't forget that the evening mass of the Lord's supper on Holy Thursday, the Good Friday liturgy of the Passion, and Easter Vigil mass take the place of evening prayer on those days. (not that it hurts to do both, but it's not considered necessary for those whose vocation obligates them to recitation of the hours. Given the level of activity families experience in getting to Church each evening AND the many home preparations for Easter, it makes sense for most of us to follow the Church's suggestion.)


10 comments:

  1. Daria, he's beautiful. Congratulations.

    "Mother is recovering from a caesarean, and has an 18 month old to manage in addtion to the newborn," I've been there. I will definitely keep her in my prayers. I hope she does have help because that's a really rough month or so. For me it's more like two months before I'm really back on my feet.

    I pray you have a blessed Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm driving up to Canada (where they live) on Friday morning and will stay for five days. After that, a wonderful mother-in-law lives just down the street, and she is anxious to take on the care of big brother as long as necessary. So my Bernadette is in good hands.

      Delete
  2. Congrats Gramma !! Prayers to all.

    Sounds like we are in a similar boat. My middle daughter gave me my second grandson last August, while she had our 1st grandson who was just under 2 years.

    Question: In your book...great book!, you mention how praying the LOTH either individually or prefered with a group, or even better at church with a clergy, is Liturgical, and not simply devotional, as long as one follows the approved text. I understand that both EF and OF are "approved" now.

    Since I am a Benedictine Oblate and my monastery prays the Divine Office 5 times a day in choir, in Latin Gregorian Chant using their own Psalm cycle and Ordo, the next best thing for me to use outside of Monastery is my Monasatic Duirnal (Farnborough Abbey), in Extraordinary Form. But even with the help of Kate's site, which I dearly need, I don't pray every day using EF.

    So, question, do you see any problem with someone bouncing back and forth over the course of a week between EF and Ordinary Form, (never within the same hour). Does using EF one hour and OF another hour in your mind take the Liturgial away and make the prayer devotional? Do you think one should stick to one form or the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond my pay grade, as a famous person once said. For one thing, I've never had it made quite clear whether saying the EF in the vernacular "counts" as liturgical. I did read somewhere that the Bishop of Lincoln NE, who approved the Baronius breviary for his priests said they had to read it in Latin, and that the English is only there for reference rather than as a liturgical text.(As, I imagine, it would not be approved for a priest to say the EF mass in English!) So if I used the EF I would want to do the followup research to verify whether using the English side of the breviary is considered liturgical. Assuming, however that the English side of the book is approved for liturgical prayer,(or that you are a fluent Latinist and have not problem praying in Latin) then I see no problem in "bouncing around." I certainly know people who always use the EF except that they substitute the Office of Readings for Matins.
      Now,some hardcore EF fans will tell you that you should use nothing but the EF, and will then go on to give you all the reasons why anything liturgical that emanated from Vatcian II is by defintion a travesty.
      But I don't think that is the kind of reasoning you are looking for. :)
      Now here's another question that arises. The EF and OF have some slight to significant variations in how the seasonal and sanctoral cycles are celebrated. Different days for some of the saints' feasts, for example. So on some days, you would really be thrown off course by alternating between EF and OF. But you must know that.
      My conclusion, based only on reason and not on research into church law, is that since each text is approved, then each individual hour you pray is a liturgical act.Now maybe, If you were canonically bound to pray the entire office every day, maybe there would be some problem with this. But then, if you were canonically bound to do the whole thing, then there would be a superior to go to for direction on this.
      That's about the best I can do. If James McAuley or one of my other EF-knowledgeable readers is reading this, perhaps we'll get some more coherent feedback.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, grandma! Is he named after Pope Francis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Francis" was on their list long before the conclave, but I'm guessing our new pope was one more reason to prompt the final choice.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Remember to update your "About me" to read:

    "She is a mother of seven and grandmother of two."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I just tried to change it and I can't figure out how to open the About page for editing. Rats.

      Delete
  5. Congrats. Having my second fourteen months after my first (and c-sections for both!) I send lots of prayers to the new mama and daddy. He is a beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete